Much more than just a practical necessity to help people find their way around your school, school signs are a chance to welcome visitors, show off your branding, and reflect your ethos.
If you’re considering new school signage but you’re not sure where to start, we’ve got plenty inspiration for you here at Vinyline! School signs don’t have to be boring – we’ve got some great ideas on how you can get really inventive.
This blog includes some of those suggestions, along with the kind of things you should be thinking about when revamping your school signage.
Where to start when reviewing your school signs
It’s possible that you’ve categorised your school signage as a building maintenance task rather than a marketing opportunity – many schools do.
However, new school signs can seriously improve the reputation and image of your school, so it’s important to give them the attention they deserve. New teachers and parents of prospective students will notice your signage when choosing their ideal school – not to mention the Ofsted inspectors!
You should start by taking a walk around your school and taking notes. Try to follow routes that visitors to your school might take. Start at the school gates and note the impression that a visitor might get from the school sign there. Following this, make your way to the school office and do the same. Continue this way through the school, making notes as you go.
What to look for on your route to evaluate your school signs
Questions to ask yourself on your journey around the school include:
- Is your entrance signage modern, bright, and welcoming?
- Are your wayfinding signs clear and easy to follow?
- Are your welcome banners and wall fixtures smart?
- Do you feel motivated when you see your school signs representing your vision and values?
- Is all your school signage branded with your school colours and logo?
- Do you have eye-catching hygiene and social distancing signage that’s up to date?
- Is all your emergency school signage current and relevant?
Taking all these things into account when taking a trip around your school can help you to see whether your school signs need a makeover.
Ideas for creative school signs
Vinyline manufacture signs for schools across the UK, and we’ve got some seriously creative ideas for how you can overhaul your school signage.
Some of our favourite ideas include:
- Wall graphics with inspirational quotes, motivating students as they move between lessons.
- Glass displays to promote healthy eating.
- Wall graphics celebrating pupil achievements and exam success, which can be placed throughout the corridor.
- Narrow school corridors often cause congestion, meaning that it can take children a while to move between lessons. Whilst it might not seem like much, adding a simple ‘Keep Left’ school sign at eye-level can seriously improve the flow of traffic. This will help to ensure that pupils arrive at lessons on time.
- A design on your school fence or gates. This can hide unsightly views and improve privacy for pupils. It can also create a sense of calm, away from the outside world, as people enter your school.
At Vinyline, we like to think ‘outside the box’, so if you’re struggling for ideas for your school signs, rest assured that we’ll have some brilliant suggestions for you! Whatever type of school signage you have in mind, from welcome plaques to wall decals and wayfinding signs, we’ve got it covered.
Vinyline are highly experienced and knowledgeable in signs for schools, having worked with many schools, academies, colleges, and universities. Get in touch today and find out how we can help with your school signage needs. Give us a call on 01744 75 66 44 or send an email to email@example.com today.